Home Occupations License
Click here to view and print a paper application.
Section 159.002 Home Occupation
HOME OCCUPATION. A business which is carried on in a dwelling unit provided that:
(1) The business shall be restricted to the providing or performance of services. No on-site wholesale or retail sales shall be permitted.
(2) The following businesses shall not be eligible for classification as a HOME OCCUPATION:
(a) Beauty or barber shop;
(b) Nursing home or clinic;
(c) Doctor's or dentist's office;
(d) Day-care center; or
(e) The repair of vehicles owned by someone other than the occupant.
(3) No person other than members of the family residing on the premises shall be engaged in the business.
(4) The home occupation shall have dedicated to its use not more than 20% of the gross floor area of the dwelling unit.
(5) The home occupation shall not be conducted in an accessory building.
(6) No mechanical equipment shall be used in the business, except for such as is normally used for domestic purposes.
(7) There shall be no change in the outside appearance of the dwelling unit or any other aspect of the premises which would provide visible evidence of the conduct of the home occupation other than one sign, not exceeding two square feet in area, non-illuminated and mounted flat against the wall of the dwelling unit.
(8) There shall not be more than one customer vehicle at a time parking off-street and no customer parking shall be permitted in the street right-of-way.
(9) A license shall be obtained and a tax paid, as required in § 110.02.